Saturday, June 10, 2017

Butterflies

Last week my older daughter told me that her teacher was expecting and could we . . . (she gestured towards my "in case of baby" quilt stash).

I was all about giving her teacher a quilt, but I saw an opportunity to veer off my self imposed to-do list to do something that's been in my brain for a while.


Grandma gave me these flowers and butterflies already cut.  I have no idea where they come from.  There are a few butterflies that we didn't use that celebrate Saskatchewan's 50th year as a province.  That was 1955.  I have no idea if all the fabric is from the 50s but they definitely appear to be vintage.

I sandwiched a top without butterflies and quilted a diamond pattern with 6" parallel lines using a walking foot.  Then we placed the butterflies and I FMQed over them using a darning foot.  The edges of the butterflies were snipped so that hopefully they will fray really nice and soft when the quilt is washed.

The Small One gave this quilt to her teacher this week.  The teacher's older son has asked if he could keep it.  I suppose that means they like it :)

I'm linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts and She Can Quilt today.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use those lovely vintahe butterflies and flowers in the baby's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! What's exciting is there are still so many more to do more baby quilts in the future!!

      Delete
  2. This turned out great! Nothing like vintage fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the vintage fabrics - it's so much fun putting bits of history into quilts.

      Delete
  3. Does that mean the baby needs another one? Great idea and what a bit of history thrown in. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday!

    ReplyDelete