Friday, September 22, 2017

It's a Bag!

I'm not much of a sewer.  I love making quilts, but I didn't not begin as a sewer.  Clothing patterns may as well be Greek.  That being said, I picked this pattern up from Green Fairy Quilts a while back so when my older daughter needed a "gym strip" bag for school, I used this pattern as my starting point and modified it for use with denim and to the size needed.  I'm very pleased with it and more to the point, so is my daughter!

I'm linking up to:
Elm Street Quilts
Free Motion by the River
My Quilt Infatuation

Monday, September 4, 2017

A Goal for September

Last month I finished a commission - a monster Darth Vader quilt in less than three weeks.  It helped that my children were with various grandparents.

This month, I want to finish another commission using a nearly identical colour scheme.  I'm ready to put the middle bits on.  This is the logo for a group called 21 Pilots.  My client's a fan.

I'm linking up to One Monthly Goal.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Darth Vader

A year ago, I made R2D2 for a precious baby in our lives.  The story is that her Daddy liked it so much he wanted it for himself.  Mom said no so he asked me if I'd make one for him.

Here it is.

This is the second quilt I've made where I've liked the back better than the front.  The first is this quilt I made for my sister.

There's 20 - 30 hours of quilting in this roughly 80 x 80 quilt.  I lost track.  Perhaps I should invest in stop watches?  It took me three weeks of going straight to the sewing machine after work to get this done.

Mr Vader was so much fun to make and I learned a lot in the process.

One commission down.  Time for the next one :)

I'm linking up with One Monthly Goal, Finished or Not Friday, Bee Social , Thread Thursday and Crazy Mom Quilts

Thursday, August 3, 2017

A Nutty August Goal

I've had a good quilt year.  I've finished six quilts that have just been hanging around feeling under appreciated.


Then a friend had a question.  I made his daughter an R2D2 quilt when she was born (click here) and he wanted his own since his wife wouldn't let him steal his child's.  LOL

So now I have a commission.  The pattern above is what we settled on.  It's going to be red instead white.  I have all the materials and the red bits all are all roughly cut.

Update:  Here's the red roughly placed on a black sandwich.  Time to move everything into position.

I need to put this one to bed (that feels like a pun to me) as soon as possible so that I can start another commission that came in a week after the first.  Eek.

My nutty goal this month is to FINISH THIS QUILT!!  I know.  It's gonna be a stretch.  Time to quilt!!

I'm linking up with  One Monthly Goal

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Q3: Summer is Busy!

I'm very pleased with the progress I made during Q2.  I finished three quilts (of four) and completed a couple other small projects that were never on my list:

Again, I have put off finishing my hand quilting project.  Perhaps Q3 will be the quarter when I conquer the beastie.  It's going to look so good when it's finally done.  My sewing room needs to turn into a guest room for a week so I'll try to have everything I need handy to finish that while I mourn the 7 day loss of my sewing machine.

The other project I would love to finish in the next three months is a Craftsy Class:  Magical Blocks out of the Box.  I decided to make things extra hard on myself by attempting a rainbow effect across the top.  I only have the large "R" block to make then I can piece it all and add the border.

I'm linking up to Finish-A-Long

Friday, June 23, 2017

Thy Word a.k.a. Bee Happy

I'm losing a friend this week.  Okay.  That sounds really melodramatic.  She's moving to another town several hours away, but I won't see her every week and I won't get to sing with her, perhaps for a very long time so I'm feeling a little melodramatic.

I started this quilt in 2013.  I saw something similar somewhere and set out to recreate it.  I was very new to quilting and didn't understand that it was a simple 9-patch.  I laid all my 2½" blocks out on a bed and sewed strips together.  When I told my much more experienced quilting friend how I did it, she laughed herself silly and took pictures so she could show more people and tell them the story of the newb.

After the top was done, I put it away for years.  I just didn't have a clue how to quilt it. 

Enter the friend I mentioned at the beginning.  I was showing her my unfinished tops.  We stopped at this one and just looked and looked and looked at the wonderful little bits of fabric patterns.  We found thimbles and purses and as the title of the quilt suggests, bees.  I realised this is the good bye I needed to give her.

I quilted prayers into the black borders:

Numbers 6:24-26 (NIV)

The Lord bless you and keep you;

the Lord make his face shine on you

and be gracious to you;

the Lord turn his face toward you 

and give you peace.”’

Romans 15:13(NIV)

 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I never intended to give this one away so I have to make myself another.  This time, I'll make 9-patches!

This is a finished for Q2 (click here) with Finish-A-Long

I'm linking up to One Monthly Goal, Thread Thursday and Crazy Mom Quilts

Ruth's Pinwheels

Several years ago I was gifted with blocks.  These pretty 3-D blocks.  I loved the bright cheerful colours.

I set them aside for a while.  I like mulling on projects.

This year when I set a goal of finishing 9 UFOs, I decided Ruth's should be one of them.

When a mutual friend of Ruth's and mine needed silent auction donations for a fundraiser, I thought this would be the perfect piece for her.

This is a finished for Q2 (click here) with Finish-A-Long

I'm linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts